Mum can I bake a cake?
When I hear those words I do an internal eye roll as i know the mess that comes of it, but with today feeling pretty Autumnal I thought why not. I’ve had a real hankering to do some baking that makes the kitchen smell really inviting so I suggested the flavours and Freya found a recipe. We adapted the recipe slightly as Freya and gluten don’t mix well so we swapped out the flour and used Doves Farm gluten free self raising flour.
I’ll get straight to it here is the recipe:
- 75g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 210g self-raising flour (We swapped to gluten free)
- Half tsp of baking powder
- A generous tsp of mixed spice (we also added cinnamon and a small amount of ground clove not to much as its very strong)
- 6-8 tbsp home-made chopped apple sauce
For the apple sauce:
- Generous teaspoon of mixed spice
- 1 table spoon of dark brown sugar
- Dash of water
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract (we swapped for Gourmet mulling syrup)
For the Icing
- 200g of room temperature unsalted butter
- 400g of icing sugar
- Apple butter syrup if you have it or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
Pre heat the oven to 160⁰C, remove the butter for the icing and let warm to room temp.
To make the apple sauce, peel and chop the apples in to about 2cm squares add to a pan with the rest of the sauce ingredient and simmer until the apples are soft. leave to cool
Mix the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy.
Sieve the flour, baking powder and spices together. Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, along with a little of the flour to prevent the mixture from separating.
Add the vanilla extract and apple sauce. I was generous with the apple sauce, as it makes the cakes nice and moist.
Fold in the rest of the flour.
Put two large teaspoons of cake mix into each cupcake case – it will make around fifteen cupcakes.
Bake at 160⁰C for 14-18 minutes.
While the cakes are in the oven make the icing by mixing 200g of soft unsalted butter with 400g of icing sugar, a tsp of cinnamon and a dash of apple butter syrup if you have it, if not use vanilla extract.
Leave the cakes to cool before icing, then enjoy this little taste of Autumn!
Lisa & Freya